FAIRFIELD — Without one of the top players in the league in Shania Osborne, the Fairfield Warde girls basketball team is adjusting on the fly and trying to develop the chemistry needed to compete for wins. Though it’s a work in progress according to coach Dave Danko, the team took a step forward as they trek on without their star, who suffered a season-ending knee injury before Christmas. The Wreckers trailed just 35-33 with five minutes to play before a strong finish led by forcing numerous turnovers salted away the contest. “We came together as a team and our minds were on the same goal,” said senior point guard Daja Polk, who scored 12 points and iced the game with several foul shots down the stretch. The Wreckers held the ball trailing 35-33 looking to tie or take the lead, but a steal and layup by Olivia Parisi — who led all scorers with 14 points — followed by a free throw pushed the lead back up to 40-33. Staples switched to its press defense and got six points off layups and foul shots to close to within a possession late before the Mustangs slammed the door.
- Girls Celebrate A Wonderful 2021-2022 Season!!! Thank you Coaches and Parents! March 22, 2022
- (no title) March 9, 2022
- Please join us for the CIAC Girls Basketball Tournament! February 27, 2022
- Everyone Contributes to Team Victory Over Norwalk, Sealing a Winning Season for the Wreckers!!! February 16, 2022
- Staples Bows to an Undefeated St. Joseph’s Team February 15, 2022
Select Postings by Category
- Follow Staples Girls Basketball on WordPress.com